Tuesday 12 June 2012

2nd Floor - Found Objects

Second Floor's next challenge is to incorporate found object (s) into your artwork.

For this I started off with a canvas that I made as part of Alma Stoller's workshop in 21 Secrets.  This was made from an old cereal box, covered in book pages and Modge Podge, then painted with acrylic paint. I sprayed some Dylusion ink on top in green and blue.


The paper started to lift off and rip so badly that I tossed that in the bin and started fresh with another canvas made the same way.  I put down vintage book papers form a 1920's book and a movie flyer from the 1950's, and a lovely little keepsake card with flowers on it, from the 1950's as well I think.  I then sprayed some Dylusion inks on top.

I dripped some ink and put a boarder around the canvas using black oil pastel.  I then stamped randomly in black ink and also used light pink pan pastel randomly on the piece and then sprayed some more ink on top. 
I had a rectangle of texture paste that I had made ages ago, I had coloured it orange at the time.  I hadn't used it as I really didn't like the colour of it.  So I decided to re-colour it. I sprayed it with Dylusion inks and when it was dry I cut out three hearts.  To finish the hearts off I put a layer of Crystalina Kindy Glitz (glitter glue) over the top.  I then found an old cross and Mary and Jesus medallion on a small beaded chain that I had in my stash.  I stapled this to the largest heart and glued the cross and medallion down.   I then went through the remainder of the book page that I had on my work table and added the words "solace is found in hope" to the two smaller hearts. DONE!!!


 What I learned .....


  • It's OK to throw something away and start again if its not salvageable.  I struggled with my first canvas for quite a while before I decided enough was enough.
  • I really liked incorporating found objects into my work, I will definitely do this more often. 
  • I like Kindy Glitz, I have had it for ages but have never applied to a surface like that before, I usually just do dots with it. 
  • I like adding words into my work as well.
  • I don't really like the canvas' that I made.   Whilst they are sturdy enough, the book pages do not stay put.  The largest heart is strategically placed to cover up where the book pages started to shred and come apart.  I have a few more that I made at the same time, I think I will try and put a couple of coats of Matt medium over the top before working on them and see if that improves their usability. 
Have a lovely day 
Lynn

1 comment:

  1. I love the combination of colors and the outcome! Love your write up of the process. Thank you so much for playing with Julie and me in the Second Floor Challenge!

    ReplyDelete